Watermelons are rich in vitamin A, B6, and C. The refreshing feeling we get while eating watermelons is due to these vitamins. Watermelon also exhibits some health benefits. In U.S.A, August 3 is declared as a National Watermelon Day.
There are 18 different varieties of Watermelon. Some of the common types are
- Golden Midget
- Yellow/Orange Watermelons
- Crimson Sweet
- Summer flavor
- Yellow Doll
- Sugar baby watermelon
Is Water Melon good for you?
Let see more on, what is watermelon good for?
Health Benefits of Water Melon
- Cure Kidney Disorder: Watermelon can work as a detoxifying agent. Studies have suggested that watermelon can protect liver, brain and kidney from the toxic element. It is useful for removing kidney stones as well. Frequent urination due to high water content in melon helps to reduce the incidence of kidney stones.
- Prevents Heat Stroke and Dehydration: It is one of the best sources to retain body fluids. Eating watermelon can regulate your body temperature and blood pressure. People in tropical regions eat this fruit quite often to protect themselves from heat stroke.e
- Helps to prevent Cancer: Lycopene, a vitamin abundant in watermelon. It has powerful anticancer properties. It can reduce the incidence of cancers, by inhibiting the cancer cells growth. Scientific evidence shows that lycopene in Watermelon is more effective against breast cancer cell line (MDA-MB-231) than any other cancer. The other lycopene rich foods are tomato, papaya, Guava, etc.
- Improves vision and keeps eyes healthy: : For healthy eyes, watermelon provides some vital vitamins. It not only protect your eyes but also prevents age-related eye ailments.
- Fight Diabetes: Watermelons are low in calories, but high in vitamins and minerals. It is a perfect food for a diabetic. The minerals in watermelon stimulate proper functioning of insulin in the body by lowering the blood sugar level. Animal studies show that watermelon protects the pancreatic cell death. Pancreas is where the insulin is produced. Many diabetic prefers tea or water boiled with melon seeds to cure diabetes
- Cure Skin Blemishes: Watermelon Seed is good for skin and hair. The unsaturated fatty acids in watermelon keep the skin moisturized, firm and well-toned. Watermelon seed oil can remove dirt and grease that clog up your pores. About 80% of watermelon seed is comprised of oil good for health.
- Impotence: It is believed that watermelon can cure impotence in men. It boosts chemicals that are responsible for male potency.
- Digestion and relieve constipation: Watermelons are high in fiber. It encourages a healthy digestive tract and relieves constipation.
- Nerve and Muscle support: Important electrolytes like potassium and sodium are present in Watermelon. These electrolytes are essential for muscle contraction and brain functioning. It can also reduce muscle soreness and improves recovery time. While watermelon seeds are a good source of protein. 1 cup of provides 30 grams of protein.
- Cure Heart Problems: Watermelon has special chemicals that control aortic blood pressure. It eventually improves overall cardiovascular function. Watermelon Seed has a high content of magnesium. It is vital mineral for heart functioning and normal blood pressure.
Watermelon Nutrition Table
One serving or 1 cup of diced watermelon contains 46 calories.
6 Healthy Way to Eat Water Melon
1) Watermelon and Cilantro Sorbet
Cilantro is also known as Chinese Parsley. It has some antioxidant and antibiotic activity. A cocktail of Cilantro Sorbet is a perfect blend for a summer heat. You can also try Cilantro with Agua Fresca. Mexico have a popular drink prepared from watermelon known as Watermelon Agua Fresca. To make this drink fruit essence is mixed with watermelon juice.
2) Grilled Watermelon and Tomato Salad
Watermelon and Tomato both are rich in Lycopene. They are power pack of anti-oxidant. Barbequing it will not lessen its nutritional value. You can also add roasted beet to the same.
3) Watermelon and Basil Soup
Tomato soup can be easily replaced by Watermelon Soup, as they bear similar properties. Besides adding aroma, basils helps in recovering inflammation.
4) Watermelon Lemon Juice
Watermelon Lemon Juice is a quick way to retain electrolytes. Watermelon are rich in minerals and vitamins. While lemons are good source of Vitamin C and boost immunity. If you are thinking of Juice dieting, watermelon lemon Juice should be on your list.
5) Watermelon with Yoghurt and Cinnamon
This recipe is beneficial for weight loss, as it has low calorie in it. Cinnamon can lower blood sugar level while yoghurt helps the body to burn body fat. Replace dessert with this recipe. It is beneficial for people who are on weight loss.
6) Water Rind Pickles
Amino acid L-citruline present in Watermelon rind helps to dilate blood vessels. This helps to improve blood circulation.
Most of them don’t have a problem eating watermelon. In some, it may cause allergic reactions like digestive problems, itchy throat, swelling of the lips, etc.
Some individual cannot digest food properly having such condition. The symptoms include bloating, gas, stomach cramps, and constipation.