Top 22 Esthetician Interview Questions & Answers
1) What does an esthetician do?
Esthetician is the one who specializes in the skin care of other by non-surgical means. The main objective of esthetician is to improve the customer’s skin tone and its appearance.
2) What attributes esthetician should have in it?
An esthetician should be able to
- Work one-on-one with clients
- Give information to the customer about skin care
- Arm hand steadiness
- Finger dexterity
- Good near vision
- Make the customer feel confident about their facial appearance
- Introduce new products and techniques to customer to enhance their skin tone
3) Mention what are the other career options for esthetician?
The other career options for esthetician are
- Clinical esthetician
- Master esthetician
- Medical spa manager
- Hair removal specialist
- Medical or para-medical esthetician
- Esthetician or skin care specialist
4) Explain what is deep pore cleansing?
Deep pore cleansing is the technique of cleaning facial skin by removing excess sebum, dirt, and other impurities. Also, it includes removal of ripe pimples and blemishes manually.
5) How steam is useful in the cleansing process of skin?
Steam can loosen dead surface of the cell and soften the deposited sebum and dirt. It also softens the skin and relaxes the skin pores.
6) Explain what is iontophoresis?
“Iontophoresis” is a technique of transdermal delivery system in which a substance carrying a charge is propelled through the skin by a small electric current. This method is used by esthetician to insert vital nutrient or lotion deep into the skin surface. This technique is also used by doctor to administer drugs through skin
7) Explain what an esthetician’s can’t do?
An esthetician can’t do following things
- Prescribing acne medication
- Can’t diagnose any skin condition
- Can’t perform any medical procedure
- Can’t treat severe inflammatory acne
8) Explain how esthetician sanitize their daily accessories and equipment?
Esthetician sanitizes their daily accessories in a dry sanitizer, which is a closed cabinet containing a fumigant or an ultraviolet light source.
9) Explain what is disincrustation?
Disincrustation is a process that uses the galvanic current machine to soften hardened sebum in the pores. The alkaline disincrustation solution is applied to the skin, and the electric current helps it penetrate. This technique is used on oily and blemished skin.
10) Explain what is Comedone? Is esthetician allowed to treat Comedones?
Comedone is a dead skin material known as sebum, stuck in the opening of a hair follicle. This follicle may be almost closed giving white spot appearance or opened giving black spot appearance. Extraction of comedones by esthetician should be allowed, but you have ensure that he/she has a license to practice as it needs a sharp skill to treat comedons.
11) Explain what is Botox? How does it work?
Botox is a drug made from neurotoxin produced by bacteria clostridium botulinum. Botox is a neurotoxin, and it acts on your nerve impulse, and it is used to treat wrinkles on your skin. Normally, with aging brain gives the signal to facial nerves to contract skin and muscle. When Botox is used it blocks the signal to reach the facial nerves and eventually, the skin would not contract.
12) Can an esthetician allow to give Botox treatment?
In most states, esthetician is not allowed to give Botox treatment while different states have different rules and regulation, in few state esthetician administers Botox injection under physician supervision.
13) What are the side effects of Botox?
- Mild Nausea
- Blurred vision and drooping of eyelids
- Rashes, swelling and wheezing
- Neck weakness
- Brachial plexopathy, etc.
14) Explain how long does the Botox treatment last?
Botox treatment last about for 2- 3 months and sometimes four months.
15) Explain what dermal filler are and mention what are the types of fillers?
Dermal fillers are substance such as collagen, hyaluronic acid and calcium hydroxyl apatite that replenish facial skin by eliminating or reducing wrinkles. Facial fillers are injected to face surface through small tiny injections on specific areas.
Different types of fillers used are
- Juvederm facial filler
- Restylane facial filler
16) For what all-purpose dermal fillers are used?
Dermal fillers are used for
- Removing or reducing face wrinkles
- Improving the appearance of recessed scars
- Soften facial creases and wrinkles
- Plump thin lips
- Enhancing sunken cheeks
- Contour the bridge of the nose
17) Mention what is the average length of fillers? How long it last and what are the side effects if there is any?
Average length of filler injection is about 10 to 20 minutes per session, and it lasts about a few weeks or months to about a year. Some of the usual side effects observed in fillers are
- Bruising at injection site
- Swelling or pain
- Granulomas or nodules
- Temporary redness
- Temporary numbness
18) Explain what is chemical peel treatments?
Chemical peel treatment is a process of replacing old skin with a new skin. In this process a chemical is applied on the face, once it dries off the chemical layer is peeled off. The new skin regenerated after the removal of old skin is often less wrinkled and far smoother.
19) Mention what are the equipment’s that an esthetician use?
An esthetician can use
- Magnifying lamp
- Wood lamp
- Facial and massage beds
- Hot towel sterilizers
- Wax warmers
- Table top steamer
- Lotion warmer
20) Explain what is photo-rejuvenation?
Photo-rejuvenation is a facial treatment based on light absorption mechanism. In this technique, a LED or laser light is exposed to the skin surface, and the skin will absorb the infrared light and red light. This absorbed light will reach deep into the skin cells to treat various skin disease and eventually heals the scars and rash on the skin surface.
21) Is there any side effects of photo-rejuvenation and how long the session last?
There is no side effects of photo-rejuvenation. However, people for their safer side prefer LED lights than laser. A photo rejuvenation session last anywhere to 30 minutes to 1 hour.
22) Explain what is microdermabrasion?
It is a skin treatment that is very popular among people. In this treatment, a tiny micro aluminum oxide crystal is placed on the skin using a hand piece. This crystal will exfoliate the skin, and with mild suction by the hand piece, it will remove the skin debris and residues.